U.S. Department of Energy Selects Neil Kelly Company as Market Leader in Increasing Energy Efficiency of Homes
Northwest remodeling firm is one of only eight contractors nationwide profiled in new research report
October 30, 2012, Portland, Oregon – Even in a challenging economy, Neil Kelly Company’s Home Performance division has more than doubled its revenue each year, for the past six years.
Because of this success and industry leadership, Neil Kelly was selected by the U.S. Department of Energy to be featured in a new report titled, “A Business Case for Home Performance Contracting.”
“The Department of Energy recognizes the enormous potential for improving the energy efficiency of existing American homes,” states Tom Kelly, president. “We’re honored they selected our company to show contractors across the nation how to serve this growing market and help homeowners create more comfortable and environmentally-friendly living spaces.”
- More than 50,000 homes were upgraded in 2011 through Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program.
- Since 2001, 150,000 houses have been upgraded by Home Performance with ENERGY STAR including 50,000 homes in 2012, despite the 2007-2008 downturn in the housing market.
- The DOE has ambitious goals for 2013, and plans a ramp-up effort to upgrade one million homes.
Neil Kelly’s Home Performance Division Highlights
- In 2010, 8 percent of total business revenues came from its home performance division. In 2011, it grew to 22.5 percent.
- The division continues to add jobs. In 2006, the division had 3 employees. Today, it has 33 and is projected to increase to 40 by 2013. The division currently has 6 open positions.
- In 2011, the company completed 211 energy upgrades, saving an average of 2.8 tons of carbon emissions per year per home. This means that in five years, this group of retrofitted homes will have prevented 15,000 tons of carbon from entering our environment – the equivalent of 1.5 million gallons of consumed gasoline.
- In 2012 the company is on track to nearly double the number of retrofit jobs to 400.
About Building America
The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Building America program has been a source of innovations in residential building energy performance, durability, quality, affordability, and comfort for more than 15 years. For information, visit http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/residential/ba_index.html
About Neil Kelly Company
The Neil Kelly Company helps Northwest homeowners care for all aspects of their homes. Services include award-winning design-build remodeling; energy upgrades and home repairs big and small. Established in 1947, the firm has a national reputation for its innovative design-build remodeling and new home construction.
With five Pacific Northwest locations in Portland, Lake Oswego, Eugene, Bend and Seattle, Neil Kelly is renowned for its innovative design and remodeling services, quality craftsmanship and sustainable building practices. Homeowners are invited to attend a free educational seminar. Visit www.neilkelly.com.