Job Summary: Neil Kelly Co., a 70-year-old, family-owned residential remodeling contractor, has an immediate opening for an experienced Project Manager in our Portland office. The Project Manager is responsible for working with various Neil Kelly Company Designer/Consultants, managing their client projects throughout the duration of the work.
This specific Project Manager reports directly to the Vice President of Production, for overall direction. However, this position requires self-direction for the majority of day-to-day activities.
The Project Manager is responsible for working in compliance with Neil Kelly Company established standards for paperwork and processes.
- Serving as the team captain for his/her production team providing a leadership role within the team. Each team captain is required to participate on the Team’s Team as possible, a leadership group, which meets on a schedule determined by that body;
- Providing initial and ongoing training for new and existing team members. This includes communicating expectations and established company standards with Journey-level Carpenters, Apprentice Carpenters and Designer Consultants; trade contractors;
- Participating in the team estimating process, both formal and informal;
- Reviewing the specifications and the cost breakdowns of new projects; preparing questions and/or a list of additional information needed prior to the pre-start conference;
- Assuming responsibility for approval of final job costs and communication to the client;
- Participating with the Designer/Consultant, Client, major Subcontractors, and the Carpenter in a pre-start conference to review all project details. Authority for the management of the project is formally transferred from the Designer/Consultant to the Project Manager at this conference;
- Preparing the project for production following the pre-start conference. This includes, but is not limited to: obtaining a notice to proceed from Neil Kelly Company, ordering materials, negotiating with subcontractors, creating job information packets for all those who require them, obtaining permits, confirm materials testing as required, scheduling labor, updating labor board, and maintaining appropriate communication with the Designer/Consultant and the client;
- Maintaining communication with the client throughout the project thru a combination of personal contact from frequent job site visits, telephone, and written messages;
- Being responsible for on-site project layout for subcontractors and craftspeople;
- Keeping a job-cost comparison budget record, monitoring all costs during the course of the project, preparing budget updates for team members, and taking necessary steps to keep the project within budget;
- Compiling billings and collecting any progress payments;
- Cooperate with Designer Consultant teammate in completing routine change orders;
- Monitoring and approving all requests for payments related to the project: approving payments to subcontractors; approving all time cards for time to be charged to the project by Neil Kelly Company employees, and approving all materials invoices which are charged to the project;
- Meeting with the Designer/Consultant, Client, and other critical members of the team prior to the completion of the project to prepare a “pre-completion” punch list. Arranging for completion of the list as quickly as possible;
- Making sure all final inspections have taken place;
- Managing the carpenters on his/her team which includes, but is not limited to: participation in hiring, reviewing, scheduling and dismissal. This involves completing written documentation for all personnel management decisions;
- Participating in dispute resolution including but not limited to, client, trade contractor, and vendor/supplier issues or concerns;
- Building and maintaining client relationships with respect to service and continuity issues;
- Other functions include: may entail staffing, on a regular and rotating basis, the Neil Kelly Company warehouse; conducting quarterly safety inspections for team members which includes visual inspection of tools and vehicles and completion of related paperwork;
- Other duties as they may arise.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 7+ years Project Management experience in residential remodeling project management.
- Intimate understanding of residential housing, construction, architectural design, cost estimating and construction specification writing is required.
- Must have a verifiable record of successfully bringing projects in on-time and on-budget, as well as being able to provide references from satisfied clients.
- The successful candidate will be a team leader, an effective communicator in both spoken and written English and be knowledgeable of OSHA regulations.
- Must be proficient in Word, Excel, and Project.
- The successful candidate will have a proven ability to work as a member of a team, be flexible and adaptive, be organized and meet deadlines.
- This person must enjoy collaboration.
Neil Kelly is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. This is a drug free workplace.
Please click here for a complete job description.
How to Apply:
Send an e-mail with Job Posting Reference Number and Position Title in Subject line. Send cover letter that outlines experience directly related to the essential functions of the job and note salary requirements as well as your resume to HR@Neilkelly.com