Job Summary: Neil Kelly Co., a 70-year-old, family-owned residential remodeling contractor, has an immediate opening for an experienced Structural AutoCAD Drafter in our Portland office. This position requires experience in residential design and AutoCAD drafting, developing structural plans for single family renovations, residential building code knowledge with an emphasis on the prescriptive path; The Residential Structural AutoCAD Drafter interacts with interior and architectural designers, structural engineers, and permitting agencies and acts as a liaison to bridge communication between the specialties.
- Drafting layouts, elevations, and construction details for residential and light commercial projects by mainly computer-aided systems and some hand rendering. This will often include on-site measuring and site inspections;
- Assisting in applying for building permits. This may include meeting with plans examiners and other building officials, delivery and pick-up of documents, and completing forms.
- Work with Designer Consultant, Project Manager, Architect, and/or Engineer as necessary to create permit ready plans that meet current building code and zoning code requirements. This may include phone, email, and/or fax interactions to attain a mutually satisfying design solution;
- Working with the Designer Consultant to assemble the complete job package including the writing of specifications, trade contractor bid procurement, project estimating and preparing contracts and necessary paperwork;
- Participating in training programs offered by the company that are intended to expand on areas of specialty and work towards industry certifications.
- Acting as a resource person for Design Consultants, Design Associates, and Project Managers. This may include calculating structural elements and answering code questions as this person’s experience level allows;
- Providing occasional formal or informal information sessions related to code issue for other Neil Kelly employees;
- Coordinating jobsite visits for clarification with trade contractors and project managers;
- Working with the Project Manager and Trade contractors on structural issues and code questions;
- Not all duties are specified; other duties will be assigned as time permits and as they arise.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years’ experience in housing construction, architectural design, interior design or architectural drafting. A comparable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must be highly organized, accurate, a self-starter, self-manager and a dependable team player.
- Hands-on residential construction experience preferred.
- Experience specifying and ordering windows is a plus.
- Must thrive on producing efficient and professional work.
- Must have terrific interpersonal and communication skills, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor are valued.
- This position requires the ability to speak, read, write, and understand English.
Neil Kelly Structural Drafter’s provide their own vehicle and must have license, insurance, and a good driving record. This position receives mileage. Regular travel between offices and job sites is also required. We provide a friendly, team-based work environment, competitive compensation and great benefits. This is a waged position with benefits.
Neil Kelly is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. This is a drug free workplace.
Please click here for a complete job description.
How to Apply:
Send an e-mail with Position Title in Subject line. Send cover letter that outlines experience directly related to the essential functions of the job and note salary requirements as well as your resume to HR@Neilkelly.com
Incomplete applications may not be considered.