Neil Kelly Company pioneered the development of the design-build process in the early 1970s as a solution to the traditional design-bid-build approach used previously. With the design-build process, you receive all your design, build and remodeling services from us, as opposed to several different contractors.
Design/Build Remodeling Process Approach
• Meet with a designer at your home or Neil Kelly’s showroom
• Discuss project objectives, requirements, budget and design needs
• Review client’s design ideas, magazine clippings, pictures and notes
• Designer offers recommendations, options, investment range
• Discuss initial plans, review existing mechanical and structural systems, check zoning restrictions and develop an investment range
• Upon approval of investment range and project parameters, sign retainer and begin the formal design process (retainer fee is based on the overall scope of the project)
• Neil Kelly takes measurements and “before” photos
• Review plan options and narrow choices
• Client makes general material selections
• Designers assist client in shopping for appliances, plumbing fixtures, hardware, etc.
• Continue to make material selections at Neil Kelly Showrooms, product showrooms or internet
• Refine floor plan and elevations
REVIEW & FINALIZE DESIGN DOCUMENTS
• Finalize selections of products, materials, colors, etc., and review detailed plans and specifications
• Neil Kelly Designer, Project Manager, and Trade Contractors meet to review the project, final plans and specifications on site
• Any job-site challenges are discussed
• A firm contract price is obtained
SIGNING THE CONTRACT
• Final plans, specifications, and contract are reviewed and signed
• Down payment due at contract signing
• Client receives final plans and specifications
PRE-START CONFERENCE AT JOB-SITE
• Neil Kelly Project Manager, Designer, and Clients meet to “walk through” your project prior to production
• All “housekeeping” questions are addressed to prepare you to live through your remodel
Our Project Managers perform the task of scheduling, ordering material, coordinating carpenters, drivers and subcontractors, communicating with the client, inspecting work quality, and insuring a safe job site. All of this is done in concert with input from the Designer / Consultant and on-the-job assistance from the Lead Carpenter.
Often a good portion of their day (approximately 1/2) is spent in the office doing all the above. The balance of their time is spent in the field visiting jobs, supply houses, etc.
A client should expect the following from their Project Manager:
• Frequent communication. (Daily during active phases of the job.)
• Frequent site visits. (On a regular basis throughout the project.)
• On the site layout of trade contractors and craftspeople.
• Authorization and management of changes on the project.
• Quick, courteous and responsible response to the client’s concerns.
• Attention to the details of the project.
Neil Kelly carpenters provide excellent finish carpentry skills and craftsmanship as well as assisting with security and clean up at the job site. Our carpenters know and understand the plans, permits, specifications and additional work order authorizations for your remodel. Carpenters assist with keeping the project on task and on time.
Any major concerns, questions, or design changes should be directed toward your project manager so the work flow is not interrupted. While our craftspeople will be happy to answer brief questions about the work they are doing, each of us performs best when we are fully focused. Your cooperation will be appreciated.
Neil Kelly 5-Year Limited / 2-Year Full Warranty
Should any defects appear in workmanship or materials, other than under normal conditions of wear and usage, for a period of five years from this date, Neil Kelly Company agrees to repair or replace as necessary to restore to the original condition all work self-performed. And, for all subcontracted work, a period of two years from the date of substantial completion. This does not limit or restrict additional warranties that may be furnished by product manufacturers. Neil Kelly Company will assist in obtaining warranty service from the manufacturers.